Eyelid surgery is also called blepharoplasty. This involves removing of fat usually along with excess skin and muscle from the upper and lower eyelids. Eyelid surgery can correct drooping upper lids and puffy bags below your eyes. These features can make you look older and more tired than you feel, and may even interfere with your vision. This procedure doesn’t involve crow’s feet or other wrinkles, eliminate dark circles under your eyes, or lift sagging eyebrows. The evidence of your ethnic or racial heritage cannot be erased.
Candidate suitable for eyelid surgery:
Blepharoplasty can enhance your looks and give you self confidence but won’t make you look entirely different. So be realistic in your expectations.
1. The best candidates for eyelid surgery are men and women who are physically healthy and psychologically stable.
2. Most are 35 or older.
3. If droopy, baggy eyelids run in your family, you may decide to have eyelid surgery at a younger age.
4. The medical conditions which make blepharoplasty more risky are thyroid problems such as hypothyroidism and graves’ diseases, dry eye or lack of sufficient tears, high blood pressure or other circulatory disorders, cardiovascular disease.
5. If you have a detached retina or glaucoma. Check with your ophthalmologist before you have surgery.
Risks following the surgery:
When an eyelid surgery is performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, complications are infrequent and usually minor. But you should always expect risks and discuss with your surgeon about the pros and cons involved.
1. The minor complications after the surgery include double or blurred vision for a few days.
2. Temporary swelling at the corner of the eyelids.
3. A slight asymmetry in healing or scarring.
4. Tiny whiteheads may appear after your stitches are taken out, which can be removed easily with a very fine needle.
5. Following surgery, some patients may have difficulty closing their eyes when they sleep.
6. In rare cases this condition may be permanent.
The initial planning with your surgeon is very important. The surgeon will need your complete medical history. Be sure to inform your surgeon of any previous diseases and allergies. The most important thing is that you inform the doctor if you’re a smoker or not.
1. Eye test is done to test vision and tear production.
2. Most insurance policies don’t cover eyelid surgery, unless you can prove that, drooping upper lids interfere with your vision.
3. Clear all doubts before the surgery.
The surgery is usually done on an out patient basis and does not require an in patient stay.
1. Eyelid surgery is usually performed under local anesthesia, which numbs the area around their eyes.
2. You’ll be awake during the surgery, but relaxed and insensitive to pain.
3. In very few cases they prefer to give general anesthesia.
Blepharoplasty may take one to three hours. For this procedure, the surgeon makes incisions following the natural lines of your eyelids; in the creases of your upper lids, and just below the lashes in your lower lids. The incisions can extend into the crow’s feet or laugh lines at the outer corners of your eyes.
If you have a pocket of fat beneath your lower eyelids but don’t need to have any skin removed, your surgeon may perform a transconjunctival blepharoplasty. In this procedure the incision is made inside your lower eyelids, leaving no visible scar. It is usually performed on younger patients with thicker, more elastic skin.
Care after the surgery:
1. Your surgeon will instruct you to keep your head elevated for several days.
2. Cold compression is used to reduce swelling and bruising.
3. This lasts between several weeks to a month.
4. Doctors recommend eye drops since your eyelids may feel dry at first and your eyes may burn or itch.
5. For the first few weeks you may also experience sensitivity to light.
6. Temporary changes in your eyesight, such as blurring or double vision.
7. Once the stitches are removed the swelling and discoloration around your eyes will gradually subside.
Getting back to normal:
1. Television is one thing which you will be permitted to watch.
2. As you may be sensitive to sunlight, wind, and other irritants for several weeks, you should wear sunglasses and a special sun block made for eyelids when you go out.
3. Take it easy for five days and avoid activities that tire you easily for three weeks.
4. Scars will take time to disappear.
This plastic surgeon in Phoenix Arizona can help you to achieve your goals. For eyelid surgery contact us today.
My Passion to Serve
My passion to serve people is born out of what I believe about making a difference in others. I believe that cosmetic surgery is not just about what is on the outside, it is about the whole person. As people come to me to make changes physically their body, face, breasts or skin, I have the opportunity to not only help change the way they look, but also to help give them more confidence, a greater sense of self worth, and often a new outlook on life. This is a tremendous motivator to me to help people. I believe that as I help our patients they in turn make a difference in someone else.
I also believe that establishing a doctor-patient relationship based on integrity is how to achieve the best results for our patients. I am committed to to build relationships with our patients where we can make decisions together about the best treatment plan available for each individual. I want your experience to be the very best it can. I look forward to meeting with you! Please call our office today to set up a consultation so we can get started. 602-513-8133
The Mosharrafa ExperienceA service like no other
Patients return to us time and time again for many reasons, but they have one thing in common: they receive a level of service from our staff that enhances their experience from start to finish. From simple skin care treatments to more elaborate surgical procedures, every patient is given one on one attention, caring follow-up, and an experience that exceeds expectations.
More comprehensive facility
Our new facility will allow patients easier access to the full scope of our practice. With a larger office and skin care center, our specialized staff can provide a tailored experience to each patient. With a state of the art operating suite located on site, procedures can be performed without a hospital visit, making your experience safe, convenient and comfortable.
Top level experience with any type of service
Our philosophy of working with our patients’ natural qualities to produce the best possible result can be seen in every part of our practice. For over 15 years, we have been providing the highest level of plastic surgical care and skin care services in the valley.